About Heritage Park
Heritage Park in Lynnwood is a great place to get to know and appreciate the growth of your city. From its humble beginnings as a rural community of Alderwood Manor in 1919 to now, the park offers visitors a chance to learn about Lynnwood's agricultural, transportation and social heritage. Through exhibits featuring artifacts from Lynnwood's past, visitors are able to gain insight into the city’s history. Heritage Park is owned and operated by the City of Lynnwood in partnership with the Snohomish County Tourism Bureau, Alderwood Manor Heritage Association, and Sno-Isle Genealogical Society. If you are needing a roofing company in Lynnwood contact Connolly Construction Company!
History of Heritage Park
Heritage Park tells the story of the planned community of Alderwood Manor, which emerged between Everett and Seattle along the electric Interurban Railway in 1919. The area's virgin forests had been logged in the early 1900s, and the resulting stump land was advertised across America by Puget Mill Company as a place for health, happiness and independence. By 1922, Alderwood Manor's population had soared to 1,463 with 200,000 hens - second highest in the nation for egg production. The Great Depression of 1930s led to a decimation of poultry business, and in 1939 the Interurban Rail was dismantled for buses and autos. The opening of Highway 99 spurred commercial development which planted growth for what is now known as Lynnwood - incorporated in 1959.
Heritage Park is home to a historic Water Tower from 1917. Originally used to supply water to a farm and nearby residences through an underground electric system connected to Interurban Railway, this tower was relocated during freeway construction in 1997 so that it could be preserved long enough to convert into an educational program space and exhibit hall today.
Interurban Car No. 55 has also been refurbished at Heritage Park using both original parts and new ones alike. This car was one of six interurbans providing commuter service between Alderwood Manor to Seattle and Everett between 1910-1939 before automobiles completely eradicated their importance. After retirement, it served as a diner before becoming a ticket office for Snoqualmie Valley Railroad until its acquisition by the City in 1993 where it underwent restorations over time. Learn more about North Lynnwood Park!
Address: 19921 Poplar Way, Lynnwood, WA 98036
Phone: (425) 771-4030